Sunday, September 5, 2010

A Persona Text Rebirth


The persona text that I decided to use is radically different from anything we have read in class. I have never been very interested in writing anything personally based on my life, or rather writing about my life in general. When I write, I like to imagine places and people that don’t exist. It’s actually difficult for me to write myself into anything I write at all. What is unusual though is that I always seem to write people I care about into my writing. Considering that I don’t write in a style centered on me, I found it only fitting that my persona text should be about something that doesn’t exist. I decided to write about a fairy tale inspired story that I had written titled “Rebirth.” The six-page narrative couldn’t be more different from anything we’ve read in class. While the stories in class seemed to be works centered on our real world, my persona text is influenced by a world of fantasy. The many differences include the characters, and even the time period. However, one can see a similarity. Out of all the texts from class, the one that really compares with my text is “Emily’s Exit.” Both have characters that get lost within their identities as they encounter a journey that affects the future of everyone. I do notice one key component of all of the texts, mine included. They all have a purpose. Whether that purpose has to do with reflection on a life of false memories, a struggle with the innermost doubts of the mind, or even trying to overcome the world around them. It is clear that there is a reason behind writing in general. That is what I believe allows me to choose my persona text and why it is important to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am actually really excited for your essay! I don't want to sound like a child, but I love fairy tales, especially when the writer gets really involved in it and makes the magic seem real. (There's also dragons!) Anywho, I like that you compared your essay to "Emily's Exit" and said that "both have characters that get lost within their identities..." I find this first part of the sentence to be interesting because everyone else seems to compare their texts about how they came about their identities whereas you (I guess I should say your character) gets lost in it. I think writing, and the text produced, all serve a purpose and "there is a reason behind writing in general." Thumbs up. :)

    ReplyDelete