Sunday, August 29, 2010

Journal #1


I believe that family truly is an important aspect to anyone, good or bad. Without those residents in the establishment of life, you may not witness experiences that shape you into your true self. It is because of this idea that I can take relief in the fact that through all the hard times caused by my family, my sisters in particular, I can still come out on top and be a positive individual. My experience is centered on the various acts that one of my sisters inflicted on other members of our family and how it shaped me into a different sibling. Now I remember that she, my sister, had a troubled life. It in no way, however, makes up for everything she has done.

This experience occurred about a year ago. It was around some holiday when our whole family was getting together. My sister hadn’t shown up, but we thought of it as normal as she was somewhat of a flake. It was unfortunate that the reason behind her not showing up was because of negligence towards my one-year-old nephew. She had apparently decided to take a nap in her truck while letting her baby play around with anything he could grab, including a bottle of her psychotic medication. When we had found this out, my family and I found her and rushed my nephew to the hospital. At the hospital, a toxicology screen revealed that not only was there medication in his system, but my nephew somehow also had large amounts of acetone in his blood. Luckily, my sister eventually lost her parental rights and my nephew is safe at home with his grandparents. Because of this experience, I came to a realization about myself. I believe you need to be protective of those important to you, because you can’t trust everyone. I now don’t trust people that I’ve known my whole life, but I know that the change in me is for the better.

After taking a short break, I've realized that writing this makes me understand more about myself. I didn't need to fictionalize any of my experience like Hampl because it was still fresh in my memory. Certain aspects of the story were too personal to include into the writing, but it in no way deems it fictitious. It is just not a full truth. It wasn't a matter of thinking of something to write about, but more of sorting through the different experiences in my life that have changed different things about me. I guess the language used above is casual with some professionalism added in. I wanted to make this writing seem familiar to me, but still feel as though it is important and holds context within who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment